Wednesday, November 09, 2016

Homecoming

I grew up in a small town, a farm on the outskirts of a village really.  My grad class had 40 students.  In a small town you are connected to the entire community.  At times this makes them feel too small at other times it makes you feel very lucky.

I was very honoured to return home recently to a warm community reception and learn that a multiuse trail in my hometown was being named after me.  There are many people from this community that have done amazing things in the world and not all of them will be so easily recognized or celebrated. I feel proud that I can be a visible face for the community to show what we can do.


This trail dedication aside from providing an additional opportunity for family centered activity is hopefully also a sign to the youth of the community that kids from small towns can do big things.  Anything is possible if you are willing to put in the work.

No comments: