Friday, May 08, 2015

Switching things up

For me, it’s important to keep switching things up in my racing and training.  The past two seasons I had change imposed on me by broken collarbones.  The recovery from these gave me the opportunity for some midseason reboot time and a refocus on being in the moment. It also made me grateful to be able to train hard and race.  Remembering how much of a privilege it is to do what I do and be physically able to, is a gift I never want to take for granted.  

In the past two years I’ve also taken time for a solo trip to Colorado’s mtns to see what living and training at 2800m feels like (ouch), relished 3 weeks training in France over famous mtn passes with my husband Keith before Worlds last year and most recently was able to share my “pro cyclist” lifestyle with him this past winter as he took a leave of absence from work to join me on the road to train.  We headed south in our sprinter van and logged some great miles on our road and mtn bikes.  The best part though was just getting to explore at a leisurely pace.  To go where ever our desires took us.  Places like Santa Cruz, San Luis Obispo, Prescott, Moab and Sedona, which I had heard so much about gained a sense of familiarity and friendships were formed that will have us travelling back to these special places.

From a training perspective, I’m not sure yet what was better, logging more bike miles though the winter or my traditional focused routine of trainer rides and xc ski miles.  Time will tell. Both have their advantages.  The former being a large bike base and presumably higher efficiency that will carry me through the season, not to mention a fitter than ever training partner and the later the mental and seasonal variety of skiing with short and focused bike work.  My hope is that a very solid cycling foundation this season will have me strong throughout the World Cup season right up until the World Championships in Andorra.  There are always so many variables that go into having a successful season, but I think the soul candy and training variety this last season offered will be good for the big picture.

I’ve now gotten to enjoy a couple weeks back at home, got the garden in, taxes done, pear tree pruned as well as reconnected with friends.  As much as I loved the adventure of being on the road I am thriving being back home where home-life balances athlete-life and gives me energy, where I have my familiar routine, trails and climbs to get the most out of my efforts.  I was happy with the progress in my racing and form from US cup 1 to 4, but I feel even stronger now and look forward to one of my favourite courses on the circuit, Czech on May 24th, and another ride upon my freshly painted Orbea Oiz.
Love the spring flowers at my house!
                                    His and her work stations at a recovery week campground






No comments: