Friday, May 08, 2015

It’s on

4 races down and still 2 weeks out from the first World Cup of the season! With early season high UCI point races and wearing the rainbow stripes, I knew there could be a danger of me coming out hot this season and fading towards the end.  So I have patiently (nervously;-) committed to a plan of a slower ramp into the season.  Although at the first events it was hard to come up a little short at the end of my races (2nd, 4th & 2nd at Us cups 1,2 &3), I felt good, had fun racing with my team and learned a lot about racing in groups, something my pin it from the start preferred strategy doesn’t offer:-). The importance of always having a race plan and commitment to a goal even if I’ve raced hundreds of times was also reconfirmed.  You do not show up and win without a fiery spirit and focused mind.

My persistence and learning was rewarded at US Cup 4 with my first ever Sea Otter Classic win, a race reputed for being a tactical game with large groups of racers typically sticking together for much of the race.  It was a punishing race that demanded putting it all out there in a final attack to edge away from Australia’s Rebecca Henderson. 

So race phase 1 is complete with some valuable lessons learned.  No onwards and upwards to the World Cups!

Luna 2015.  I'm loving the composition of our amazing team this year.  With 3 U23 women, Maghalie, Hannah-Rae and Andrea and 3 x 30-somethings;-) we are just the right blend of energy, enthusiasm and experience and continue to help each other raise the bar.
Look closely and you will see the suffer face needed to win Sea Otter!

No comments: