After an amazing 12 days in France it was time to be lining up for World Cup finals.  I loved the area and the course.  There were 3 good climbs and some very fun technical, nuanced descending.  I was riding clean and smooth in training and looking forward to using the descents to my advantage.

The race started well and I climbed into the chase group with Gunn-Rita and Pauline, Jolanda having already escaped off the front with her amazing starting abilities.  I was climbing well, but without my Windham fire.  Whether it was a bit of the altitude, training load or just race tension I started flailing when I entered the technical sections.  My ego and descending skills are closely connected:-) and I won't lie and pretend it wasn't distracting to be riding so poorly in the woods. Pretty much every lap I was making a time costly mistake or getting caught behind another rider making one. I never really found my flow but rather bridged and chased all day.  That being said; on a day where I felt off it was very rewarding to be able to keep it together for a strong result claiming 4th on the day behind some very talented women.

Photo story here http://www.pinkbike.com/news/xco-finals-meribel-2014.html

It has been a great World cup season for me finishing on the podium of every World Cup event I entered, claiming my 11th win and 30th WC podium (top 5) since 2008 and finishing 2nd overall in the series.  It was the season I had hoped for without a broken clavicle, to come back from injury and have this consistency is icing on the cake.  Looking forward to one more exciting race and strong performance at World champs in Norway to cap off the season.

Thanks so much to the Luna team, our sponsors and my family for all your support this season and every season!

Tragedy shocked the WC community when we learned that a young rider, Annefleur of the Netherlands and Team Focus passed away from injuries resulting from a crash on Friday.  We all raced with a flower on our plates to honour her in Sunday's race.  My heart goes out to her friends and family

Comments

Popular Posts