The Skier cyclist phenomena

Well since I am now 30, that makes me a master.  No I will not be racing Masters on the bike, but I am going to try my hand at Master’s ski racing.  Why not start with the Masters Ski World Championships? They are being held next week in Vernon, BC only 120km from my home so why not?

I am hoping that my fitness can make up for my lack of  skill.  Master skier I am not.  Signing up could be the best thing I have done for myself though as it is really cold here  and after spending 3 of the last 4 weeks riding my bike in warmer climes I needed some motivation to get back on the skis and an escape from freezing off my digits and face on the bike.

But I am far from the only cyclist turned skier and vice versa.  I recently got to catch up with Alison Sydor over coffee and she has adopted skiing with passion.  Likewise I got a visit from old friend Ricky Federeau, not to mention  a good a** whopping on skis by him.  Watch out for this guy on the bike this summer.

On the flip side Keith complained of more Olympians racing in his category at mtb nationals than in the elite races.  Two 2010 Nordic racers took 2/3 podium spots in masters men.  This year’s Under 23 xc ski world Champ went to my first couple of mtb worlds as a juniour on our team and of course there’s my team mate Katerina Nash who went to the Olympics twice for Nordic skiing on top of cycling. 

So what’s the draw?  Both sports are awesome!  They compliment each other so well in physical demands and give us athletes a break from our normal routine, while still playing outside for hours.  I have  tremendous respect for  good skiers and look forward to having my but kicked by them shortly!

Comments

Anonymous said…
interesting follow up to your blog comment.

alex harvey just won gold with devon kersaw at world champs! this is huge accomplishment! alex however started on the m. bike then went full time to skiing only 3 or 4 years ago.

best of luck with the masters!

ps. therese johaug of norway won the womens 30k skate today at world champs in a time of 1hr 22 min!
Anonymous said…
Catharine, Nice race on Saturday, looked really good wearing the Revelstoke Nordic Toque in your interview on Ski Trax.
The Viznaugh's
Kika said…
Yes, Thanks for the Toque. It's great!

Popular Posts