Sunday, February 27, 2011

Life is Good: Skiing and Gold Medal Plates

I got back from California on a Friday (and aside from studying for 2 final exams in Anatomy and Physiology) I managed to find time for some great skiing and food!.

Lucky me got invited to attend  the Gold Medal Plates Dinner aka the Canadian Culinary Championships and a COC CPOC fundraiser. 

There I get to meet Maielle Ricker and see her  snowboard cross Gold medal, meet rising star triathlete Paula Findlay as well as Barney Bentall, Colin James  and many other great people. 
One chance meeting was with one of the event’s sponsors, Michael J,  the owner of SilverStar Ski Resort.  He generously offered us skiing at his resort the next day, where Keith and I had been heading anyhow.  Thanks Michael!!!!
California 009
The resort was amazing.  The weather and snow were perfect and Keith and I had an amazing day.  SilverStar has  a pretty wide range of  terrain and was the  perfect place to try out my new skis.  I’ll definitely be back to check out the Bike park.
California 004
Getting to do these winter weekends on wither side of warm weather bike training is heaven!

But of course the food!  Delicious.  Set up as stations you travel around meeting lots of fantastic people and sampling Canadian wines paired with amazingly looking and tasting food prepared by chefs from across Canada.  A Montreal based Chef won with a pork and beet dish, followed by NFLD’s star chef presenting a rabbit dish.  The chef of Vancouver's C restaurant took Bronze, but I thought Saskatoon also deserved honourable mention for their Pickering dish. For more details check out
 http://www.goldmedalplates.com/ccc.html

I wish I had pictures from the evening, but balancing high heels and some wine kept me busy enough!

1 comment:

Mical said...

congrats world champ!!!