Tuesday, August 18, 2009

It’s a wrap!

Domestic racing has drawn to a close with the US cup finals this weekend in Windham, NY. I have to admit I am more than a little excited to be getting home after being away since June 26th! Yes, I had Keith with me for most of the time, but there is nothing quite like being home.

Chloe, Zeph and I passed a pretty quiet week in West Dover Vermont, getting together with the Fisher team a couple times to keep life interesting. The road riding in Vermont and upstate New York is beautiful and I fully enjoyed getting to do a few long rides. Bringing road bikes this trip was great. As much as I love Mtn. biking, it’s nice to get away from the mud and really feel like you’re covering some distance.

Racing went fairly well. I felt pretty good on Saturday for the xc, Willow was just climbing really strongly and descending equally well. Georgia too was never more than a few seconds back and got ahead of me in the final 200 meters as we chicaned through a paved loop to the finish. The Windham course was fun. It’s a bout 15minutes of climbing to 5 of descending…which definitely tallies up after 5 laps. There’s singletrack nicely mixed into the climb and the descent was a combination of rocky woods and open undulating, air catching slopes. The weather was sticky hot so I was thankful for our 11am start.

3rd on the day was good enough to secure me the series overall. My first Elite overall title after finishing 2nd overall on the World cup in 2008, Canada Cup (3 times 04-06) and BC cup (03)! It’s nice to finally be consistent.

Saturday night the Luna team was invited to a delicious pasta dinner at the home of our number 1 fan in Windham, Courtney. Thanks guys and look forward to seeing you next year!

Sunday was the short track and even hotter weather. It was the hardest short track I’ve done all year. Katerina was ranked 2nd overall, 30pts behind Heather so in order to help her win the overall she needed to win and we need Heather to finish outside the top 5. Our plan was to keep the pace as high as possible. Katerina had great legs on the day, but unfortunately I didn’t. I managed to make it to the front for 2 hard efforts which hopefully helped string it out, but I didn’t have enough to stay up there for the team. Georgia launched a decisive attack that Katerina was able to go with as Heather, Lea D and I tailed off. Unfortunately for us though Lea bridged back up and after sitting in for a couple laps outsprinted Katerina for the Line. It was a great ride by Lea, Katerina and Georgia. I came in for 4th and Heather 5th. Katerina narrowly missed the overall, but happily claimed 2nd, Georgia 3rd and me 4th overall. Chloe also finding her form claimed 11th in both the XC and ST and 10th overall.

I think everyone is happy to have wrapped up the series and are now focused on preparing for the Worlds in Australia Sept 5th. I’m on my way home!!!!!

1 comment:

Debera said...

Catharine I would suggest you to change the clors of you blog nothing is visible....believe me....

Debera


Cash Online Get Easy cash at your door step