Friday, May 16, 2008

Penticton

So yes, Tuesday saw me heading to Penticton through rain showers to join up with Dan’s Ironman Camp. Dan’s camp has been running every May for about 10 years now and draws a crew of 40 or more serious and/or fun loving people aspiring to race Ironman Canada. There is always a crew that brings their mountain bikes and I was going to take them out for a rip on the local trails. Penticton has probably the best combo of road and mountain bike riding in BC so the hardest part was deciding where to ride. We decided on “the Mice” and headed out along the bike paths through vineyards to the trailhead.

2.5 hours later we returned cold and wet, but with big grins on our faces. Thanks guys!

I was then to do an interval workout with Dan, but opted for a warm lunch and shower first. Tom skinner was helping out as a ride guide and joined us for the mtb ride and my intervals. Thanks Tom!

I was able to stop by the Bike Barn for a too quick visit and to see many of my favourite Pentictonites. I could definitely have stayed longer. Penticton is a great town, fairly small (about 35 000) with 2 huge lakes, and lots of vineyards and orchards. The downtown has lots of little shops selling local wines, jams and other goodies. Keith and I lived there is 2004-2005 and I could definitely see a return to it at some point down the road.

No comments: